Training: The Basics

There are tons of different methods used in training dogs and most of them get you the same end result. I have decided to put my philosophies in writing this summer. Who knows, maybe I will be able to help someone out.

I have a few basic "Golden Rules" I go by no matter what I am training, be it pointer, retriever, or family pet:
  1. You don't ask a dog to do something, you give it a command.
  2. A command is given once.
  3. If you give a command, you must be in a position to enforce it.
  4. If a command is not obeyed, there are consequences.
That's it! Now go out and train away... If only it were that simple.

I have decided I will start off my first training publications with obedience basics, and then move on to more advanced pointer training. My GSP Lori will get to be the test dummy for most of this blog, but I hope I can work in Tug as he needs a little fine tuning.

I will try to get the first edition out by this weekend, so here are a few more pictures for now...




Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment