Death at Dusk

October 21, 2011

My hopes of sticking another pig were starting to fade fast Friday evening as the sun began to set. All that had been at the feeder was my normal doe with two fawns. Once they had eaten their fill, they walked off, and I was about to start packing up when I heard them coming in. A group of eight pigs, all sizes, came jogging into the feeder.

I don't know if was some movement they sensed from me or just the windy conditions making them skiddish, but the entire group was uneasy at the feeder. As they faded into the brush, I saw my chance. There was a narrow lane to my left that one of them stopped in. I drew back and let fly, and the squeal let me know I had made a good shot.

The light was fading fast, so I hurredly packed my gear up and climbed out of the tree. We have two feeders in our little "deer trap", and as I was walking over to where I shot the pig, I glanced over and saw a big boar at the other feeder. There wasn't much light left, but I decided to put the stalk on him. I worked into about 35 yards and put my pin in the middle of the black blur that was the boar. It sounded like a good hit, but with dark coming on and no flashlight, I decided to wait unitl the morning to look for them.

It didn't take long to find the boar in the morning. He expired about 30 yards into the brush.



Once I had found him, I went on to look for the other pig. I quickly found my bloody arrow, and after a brief search, didn't find the pig. I am happy with just knowing I knocked the population down by another two.




Happy Hunting


No comments:

Post a Comment