Tank Blind: A Box of Chocolates


November 17, 23 & 24, 2012

Yoakum, Texas

 
In my Time in the Blind post, I talked about moving to a blind in the middle of the oaks near a tank. With the lack of rain and abundant acorn crop it seemed like a logical idea. If the deer aren't coming to you, go to the deer.
 
After seeing the little buck the first sit, I cranked up an old 5-gallon feeder that has been sitting around since my days at Mota Bonita Lodge and hoisted it into an oak tree beside the tank. Over the past couple of weeks, I have had the chance to sit the blind several times, and I have seen different deer every time... Interesting.
 
I am not seeing a lot of deer, just one or two each hunt. As you will notice from my pictures, the deer around my area are not enormous. I don't hunt here for horns. If I want horns, I head south. Hunting the family land is more for the enjoyment of seeing and watching the wildlife... And of course eliminating any swine that are brave enough to show themselves.
 
Without further ado...
 



 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
With a little cooler weather coming down as we begin December, look for the South Texas Golden Triangle rut to start kicking off. Its hard to pin down an exact date when it will get hot and heavy, but when it does, man is it fun to watch. I hope to get south one or two more times this year to look for Mr. Muy Grande. But, until next time...
 
 
Happy Hunting,
 

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment